A 34-year-old man from Toongabbie in New South Wales has been charged following a fire that tore through a synagogue in East Melbourne on Friday night. He is expected to face the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court 6 July, as police confirm the blaze is being treated as suspicious.
The attack occurred at the Melbourne Hebrew Congregation, one of the city’s oldest synagogues, as Jewish worshippers—including women and children—gathered for Shabbat. Emergency services responded to the fire shortly after 8pm, with Victoria Police launching a full-scale investigation that led to the arrest over the weekend.
Premier Jacinta Allan condemned the incident as “an act of anti-Semitism,” saying that every Victorian deserves to live in peace and dignity. “That it happened on Shabbat makes it all the more abhorrent,” she said. “To the congregation, including the women and children who were inside last night when the fire was lit: we are here to support your Shule and to help you recover.”
The Premier added that she stood with Victoria’s Jewish community and pledged full support from law enforcement. “Hate and violence don’t belong in Victoria. That’s why we back our police, that’s why we’re giving them more powers—and that’s why I won’t rest until every Victorian feels safe to be who they are.”
Victoria Police have not released further details about the accused but say investigations are ongoing, including into any links with other incidents across the city on the same night. The fire follows a spate of anti-Semitic attacks, including the firebombing of the Adass Israel Synagogue last December and repeated graffiti attacks on the Melbourne Hebrew Congregation itself.
Shadow Minister for Police David Southwick, who is also a Jewish MP, joined Opposition Leader Brad Battin in calling out what they describe as a coordinated campaign of hate. “This synagogue… has stood in East Melbourne for generations. Last night’s cowardly attack marks the second attempted arson on a Jewish place of worship in less than a year,” their joint statement read.
They also referenced the vandalism at Miznon, a popular Israeli restaurant in the CBD, which was attacked by masked individuals the same night. Hardware Lane was temporarily shut down as police responded to the scene.
“These attacks all occurred on the Sabbath—a sacred day of worship—while Jewish Victorians were gathered in prayer, and patrons in the CBD were simply trying to enjoy dinner,” Southwick said. “This is not random. This is a campaign of hate.”
Jewish community leaders say there is growing frustration over what they perceive as a lack of concrete action. Some have called for more visible protection of Jewish schools, synagogues and cultural spaces, while others say the problem goes deeper, pointing to an atmosphere of rising antisemitism since the October 7 attacks in Israel.
According to Victoria Police, there has been an increase in reports of religiously motivated hate crimes since late 2023, with Jewish community organisations often the target. However, arrest rates remain low and many incidents go unprosecuted.
The Anti-Defamation Commission has urged authorities to treat this fire as a hate crime and to fast-track protections for all places of worship. “Enough is enough,” said its chairman Dvir Abramovich. “We are talking about a clear and escalating pattern of targeting Jewish institutions in Melbourne.”
Security has since been tightened across several Jewish venues, but some congregants say they no longer feel safe attending weekly services. “You worry whether it’ll be your shule next,” said a member of the East Melbourne congregation who asked not to be named. “It’s exhausting, and it’s frightening.”
The Victorian Government has previously announced funding to upgrade CCTV and security measures across multicultural and religious institutions. But critics argue that the response is too slow and too reactive.
Support independent community journalism. Support The Indian Sun.
Follow The Indian Sun on X | Instagram | Facebook
Support Independent Community Journalism
Dear Reader,The Indian Sun exists for one reason: to tell stories that might otherwise go unheard.
We report on local councils, state politics, small businesses and cultural festivals. We focus on the Indian diaspora and the wider multicultural community with care, balance and accountability. We publish in print and online, send regular newsletters and produce video content. We also run media training programs to help community organisations share their own stories.
We operate independently.
Community journalism does not have the backing of large media corporations. Advertising revenue fluctuates. Platform algorithms change. Costs continue to rise. Yet the need for credible, grounded reporting in a multicultural Australia has never been greater.
When you support The Indian Sun, you support:
• Independent reporting on issues affecting migrant communities
• Coverage of local and state decisions that shape daily life
• A platform for small businesses and community groups
• Media training that builds skills within the community
• Journalism accountable to readers
We cannot cover everything, but we work to cover what matters.
If you value thoughtful reporting that reflects Australia’s diversity, we invite you to contribute. Every donation helps us maintain the quality and consistency of our work.
Please consider making a contribution today.
Thank you for your support.
The Indian Sun Team










