Over 1,500 people celebrated the ‘Super Sikhs Cup’ at the Bernie Mullane Sports Complex in Kellyville on Sunday, 29 September.
The event featured 50 teams and 350 athletes from as far as New Zealand competing in 11 sports: Kabbadi, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, Netball, Cricket, Tennis, Wrestling, Athletics, Tug of War and a Dastar turban tying competition.
The Super Sikhs Cup was organised by the Super Sikhs Sports and Cultural Club and spokesperson Gurpreet Singh Badwal said, “The Super Sikhs Cup was an outstanding success and thanks to the organising committee, volunteers and sponsors.”
He added that it was great to see so many male and female competitors of all ages come together and celebrate community through sport.
In addition to the sport were some bhangra dancing performances, artwork by Daniel Connell, Turbans for Trust offered free turbans and Langar was provided by the Australian Sikh Association.
One lucky crowd member won a double pass to an ICC Cricket World Cup game to be held in 2015 courtesy of event partner MoneyGram.
Guests in attendance included Stephen Bali, Mayor of Blacktown, Gurdeep Singh, Deputy Mayor of Hornsby Council, Kevin Conolly, State MP Riverstone, Sydney Thunder Cricketer Gurinder Sandhu and MoneyGram representative Michael Minassian, who said, “Cricket keeps people connected to their homeland and families – just like MoneyGram does for immigrants around the world. Members of the community are valued customers of MoneyGram and this is just one way of showing support to initiatives that bring the community together.”
NSW and Sydney Thunder cricketer Gurinder Sandhu was also in attendance.
Super Sikhs Cup was presented by Budget Work Wear and supported by platinum sponsors MoneyGram.
Super Sikh Cup Results:
· Volleyball Division 1: Champions: Kalgidhar Lions New Zealand, Runners Up: Sikh United Melbourne
· Volleyball Division 2: Champions: Griffith Volleyball, Runners Up: Super Sikhs Sports and Cultural
· 6 a Side Soccer: Champions: Sydney Sikhs, Runners Up: Billu Bakra Melbourne
· Super 8’s Cricket: Joint Champions: Malwa Cricket Club and Desi Boys Cricket Club
· Kabaddi: Champions: Shahed Bhagat Singh Academy Sydney, Runners Up: Punjab Sports Club Melbourne
· Netball: Champions: A-Team, Runners Up: Glenwood Rangers
· 3 vs 3 Basketball: Champions: K-Crew, Runners Up: Black Mambas
· Wrestling: Champion: Sukhdeep Johal
· Tennis: Champions: Taj and Daniel, Runners Up: Nitin and Sat
Published in The Indian Sun (Indian Magazine in Australia)