Sam Abraham murder case: Grand parents want custody of child

Sam Abraham murder case

Epping man’s dad was suspicious of Sofia Sam’s role in the death

Parents of Sam Abraham were suspicious of the involvement of Sofia Sam in their son’s death but did not raise the matter with the police because of lack of evidence. Sam’s father spoke to Asianet news on 21 August after Victoria Police alleged their son was murdered by his wife Sofia Sam with the help of her lover Arun Kamalasanan in their Epping residence. The father also made a claim for custody of their grand child in the interview to the TV channel. Asianet News broadcast footage from the funeral showing Sofia mourning  near Sam’s body.

Victoria Police last week charged Sofia Sam with murder and Arun Kamalasanan with attempted murder and another charge of murder. The police made the arrests after months of covert investigation following the mysterious death of Sam Abraham in his Epping home.

When Sam Abraham’s body was recovered last October in their Epping home the police released his body after a week following postmortem. Although the police would have had clear evidence that the death was possibly due to cyanide poisoning they released the body stating Sam Abraham died of natural causes. Although Sofia was allowed to go to Kerala with the body for the funeral, the Police kept a close watch on her. This was done mainly to gather evidence and trap the suspects. The Police are understood to have CCTV and DNA evidence against Sofia and Arun.

News channels and newspapers in Kerala are extensively covering the case and many have praised Victorian Police in unearthing the crime.

Sam, a singer who was active in the Karavalur Mar Thoma Church near Punalur in Kerala was seeing Sofia in Kerala before the couple got married and moved to Melbourne. Sofia apparently was having an affair with Arun when she was in India. Arun who was working in the middle east managed to move to Melbourne to reconnect with Sofia.

Soon after the death, the police opened an old case in which Sam was injured in an attack near Lalor station by a masked man. This attack happened three months before the murder indicating that Sofia and her lover were plotting to kill Sam for months. The Police recovered cable ties, material scraps and handcuffs in the car at the site where Sam was attacked.

Following this failed attempt, the couple pursued a more sinister plot—they poisoned Sam using cyanide. According to a leading Malayalam newspapers in Kerala, Victorian Police used Facebook help to monitor Messenger conversations between Sofia and Arun.

Sofia had moved out of the house where Sam was murdered but continued living in Epping. The same newspaper reported that Sofia tried to go to Kerala very recently but the police stopped her from leaving by telling her that her presence was necessary in Melbourne to get some compensation for her husband’s death. The Police, reportedly, have very clear evidence against Sofia and her lover Arun.

Sofia appeared in the court in Melbourne where she appeared to be calm. Her family was present at the court hearing. Arun appeared in the same court but separately. Both have been remanded in custody till 13 February allowing the Police to transcribe phone and Facebook conversations between the duo.

Spread the love and Earn Tokens