Shocked by the horror: PM, Minister Wong react to Pahalgam attack

By Our Reporter
0
386
There is no justification for this violence and Australia condemns it. Our hearts go out to the injured, to those mourning loved ones, and to everyone in Australia touched by this terrible news: PM Albanese

The terror attack that left 26 people dead and dozens injured in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam region has drawn sharp condemnation from leaders across the world—with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese among the first to express shock over the killings.

The strike, which targeted Indian tourists near the popular Baisaran meadow in Anantnag district on Tuesday, has once again raised questions about civilian safety in the Valley and triggered strong diplomatic responses.

“This was a horrific terror attack on innocent civilians,” said Albanese, in a statement that reflected both sorrow and outrage. “There is no justification for this violence and Australia condemns it. Our hearts go out to the injured, to those mourning loved ones, and to everyone in Australia touched by this terrible news.”

Foreign Minister Penny Wong echoed the sentiment shortly after, posting online that her thoughts were with “all those affected” and offering condolences to families grieving the loss of loved ones.

The responses from Australia were among the earliest to come from outside India, a sign of the growing closeness between Canberra and New Delhi—particularly in matters of regional stability and counterterrorism.

The attack itself was brutal in its execution. Witnesses say the assailants—believed to be members of The Resistance Front (TRF), an offshoot of the banned group Lashkar-e-Taiba—opened fire on a group of domestic tourists  visiting the highland pastures above Pahalgam. Reports suggest the attackers demanded religious identification before shooting. TRF later claimed responsibility, stating their opposition to the settlement of non-locals in the region.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation’s grief with a statement that struck a defiant tone. “I strongly condemn the terror attack in Pahalgam,” he said. “Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest. All possible assistance is being provided to those affected.”

But it was Modi’s second message that carried the clearest warning. “Those behind this heinous act will be brought to justice… they will not be spared,” he declared. “Their evil agenda will never succeed. Our resolve to fight terrorism is unshakable and it will get even stronger.”

That message of resolve found reinforcement from across the Atlantic. US President Donald Trump, in touch with Indian officials soon after the attack, reportedly offered full support to India in tracking down the perpetrators. “America stands with India,” Trump said in a statement relayed by the Prime Minister’s Office. “We support every effort to bring the perpetrators to justice.”

The timing of the attack added to its gravity. US Vice President JD Vance, on a scheduled visit to India for bilateral talks and cultural outreach, was in the country when the assault occurred. Vance condemned the killings in strong terms and reaffirmed the US commitment to strengthening anti-terrorism cooperation with India.

Back in Kashmir, security forces have launched a large-scale operation to trace the gunmen. India’s Home Minister Amit Shah chaired an emergency meeting and intelligence inputs are being assessed to determine whether sleeper cells aided the attackers. National Security Advisor Ajit Doval is reportedly overseeing the investigation.

The broader concern—shared across Delhi, Canberra, and Washington—is that such attacks risk undermining the relative calm that had returned to the Valley in recent years. Pahalgam, known for its scenic views and trekking trails, had been seeing a steady revival in tourist footfall. Monday’s bloodshed threatens to stall that momentum and once again throw the region into a state of unease.


Support independent community journalism. Support The Indian Sun.


Follow The Indian Sun on X | InstagramFacebook

 

Donate To The Indian Sun

Dear Reader,

The Indian Sun is an independent organisation committed to community journalism. We have, through the years, been able to reach a wide audience especially with the growth of social media, where we also have a strong presence. With platforms such as YouTube videos, we have been able to engage in different forms of storytelling. However, the past few years, like many media organisations around the world, it has not been an easy path. We have a greater challenge. We believe community journalism is very important for a multicultural country like Australia. We’re not able to do everything, but we aim for some of the most interesting stories and journalism of quality. We call upon readers like you to support us and make any contribution. Do make a DONATION NOW so we can continue with the volume and quality journalism that we are able to practice.

Thank you for your support.

Best wishes,
Team The Indian Sun