Preet and Tony Rupal on how to keep Valentine’s Day simple yet special
The moment I met my husband I had this instant feeling of being complete and honestly the luckiest girl in the world…!!
Preet Rupal and her husband Tony Rupal believe Valentine’s Day has become a totally over-commercialised mess—but it’s still the perfect opportunity to let little romantic gestures shine. And who couldn’t use a chance to celebrate love in their life a little more?
The Rupals share with The Indian Sun their ideas of ways to show your love this Valentine’s Day—no credit card needed.
Remembering the simplest things can go a long way in your relationship. Preet feels even people who love Valentine’s Day can agree that at the end of the day, it’s another excuse to spend money on fancy candy and expensive flowers. But you don’t actually have to spend money at all to enjoy celebrating the holiday with your significant other. Here are 10 ways to show your guy/girl/person that you don’t need to break the bank to show your love.
1. Cover the room with love-note filled balloons for your significant other to pop. Cut little slivers of paper and write down all the things you love about the other person or about you as a couple. Fill empty balloons with as many rolled-up notes as you want, and then blow up the balloons and spread them all over the room. At first glance, the balloons will just look like V-Day decorations, but once the balloons get popped, your little love-note surprises will be there waiting.
2. Bundle up with blankets and warm drinks, and go on a walk to watch the sunset. It might be chilly outside, but nothing is more romantic than cuddling up in front of a sunset.
3. Build a cozy blanket fort for an all-day movie marathon. If you haven’t built a blanket fort in a while, you’ve probably forgotten how fun they are to make and hang out in. Set up yours in front of the TV, make some popcorn, and cuddle up to watch movies for as long as you want.
4. Turn off all the lamps and overhead lights, and have a candlelit night instead. What’s more romantic than candles? Whether you have plans to cook a nice meal, watch a movie, or just hang out, do so with a bunch of candles lit. They’ll instantly make the ambience of the room feel more romantic and special.
5. Surprise your loved one with breakfast in bed. No need to spend hours making an elaborate meal. Raid your pantry and fridge, and whip up something easy (scrambled eggs are always good) but special. Bonus points for any food you can make into a heart shape.
6. Fill a jar with future date-night ideas. It’s easy to fall into the same old routine when going on dates, so add creativity to your relationship by brainstorming a bunch of ideas. Draw an idea from the jar one at a time, and do whatever it says that night.
7. Make a “Valen-timeline” of your relationship highlighting all your favourite past moments together. Print out photos you love from moments you’ve shared, and jot down the details of each event on the back. Try to remember as much as you can, so you both can look back on all the good times and compare memories. Hang them in order on a piece of ribbon, like a timeline, for him/her to find.
8. Make a collage of mementos from your relationship-defining moments. Grab a picture frame, poster board, or a canvas, and cover it with things like photos and ticket stubs from concerts or movies you saw together. Seal the pieces to the canvas with Mod podge so he or she can keep your finished artwork for years to come.
9. Take your significant other on a scavenger hunt to all your favourite places, and spend the day visiting each one. You can’t celebrate V-Day without some kind of cheesy poetry, so turn your clues into little love poems and hide them at each spot for your loved one to find.
10. Hide little notes all around your significant other’s home, car, coat pockets, etc. for him/her to find throughout the day. You know how good it feels to find a dollar in your pocket, so imagine how sweet it would be to find random love-note surprises everywhere.
So if you procrastinated on your Valentine’s Day plans this year but still want to avoid stereotypical sentimental shtick, there’s no need to panic.
Have a Happy Valentine’s Day.
Spread the love and Earn Tokens